Wednesday, April 7, 2010

My experience flying 15 hours with a 1 year old



by, Franda Zondagh Mumpreneur Yours, Naturally

http://yoursnaturally.webs.com

When my parents-in-law first suggested we go for a visit to South Africa, both my husband and I went: "NO WAY"

I mean; who in their right minds fly with a hyper, can't sit still for one moment, 14 month old boy. Just imagining sitting with him in a plane for 15 hours gave us the creeps. Don't get me wrong, he is a lovely, smiley little boy. But that is mostly when he is allowed to play and run everywhere. He can't even sit still on my lap for 5 minutes!

But they did manage to convince us that it won't be that bad, and we booked our tickets. Since he is under 2, he gets to sit with us (on our laps!!) for quite a lot cheaper, so we went with that.

In preparation I went to the $2 Shop, and bought a few small but entertaining toys I could stuff in the Baby Bag. I also purchased jars of baby food that I know he would like (not having arguments about eating his carrots on the plane) and snacks that don't have loads of sugar in it so he won't get any more hyper than he already is.

On the plane you are allowed a Baby Bag for your Baby - seperate from the rest of your bagage allowance. In this bag you are also allowed containers of baby food and formula in liquids that is more than 100ml, and you don't get the 7kg weight restriction that we had with our hand luggage.

And how was the flight in the end?? It was bad; I won't lie. But I think I will be more prepared next time! Here are my tips that I wish I knew before we went, and the things I tried that worked.

Do:
  • Take cheap $2 toys to entertain. Don't show them to the baby before the flight so that they are new to him/her. Baby books are great.
  • Take a bottle of Pamol or other paracetamol. If your baby get's sick (or even VERY cranky) it does help. Remember the syringe to give it with.
  • Take sugar free snacks like rice biscuits etc..
  • If baby is still using a dummy/pacifier TAKE IT. Its a life saver! Great for take off and landing too when they get earache. If they don't use one, encourage them to drink a bottle/breatfeed during takeoff, landing.
  • Be friendly to the people around you - they will have to listen to your little one the whole time. Most people are actually quite lovely and helpful.
  • When you check in your luggage, go early and ask for a basinette (only if baby is under 9kg's otherwise it's too small) or if there is an extra seat available. We had an extra seat next to us on the way there, and a basinette on the way back - I would choose the extra seat ANY time over the bassinet)
  • Nappy change in a plane's toilet is a nightmare. Take LOADS of wipes.... and a set of clean clothes. Actually, make that 2 sets...
  • You don't get any food provided for a baby - so make sure you take enough!
  • Take a umbrella stroller to the plane - you can take it with on top of your luggage allowance without paying any extra.Take a blanket baby knows well on the plane. And a favourite cuddle toy if he/she has one.
  • Sleep as much as you can before hand, you won't get ANY rest on the flight, and don't even think you would be able to watch a movie, or read a magazine. Your whole time will be filled with entertaining baby and trying to keep them from bothering other people.
  • If you have stopovers anywhere, make sure baby play and run at that airport. Make them tired so they might sleep on the rest of the journey!
  • Baby WILL have jetlag if it is a long flight.... so be prepared mentally that sleep for you won't be happening anytime soon. But for the jetlag I will need to write a whole new page really....
Good luck to anyone flying with a little one! Just remember; you WILL survive and keep on smiling!!!

1 comment:

  1. Maria, thanks for visitng my blog. Good advice here. Had to giggle a few times. I'm gong now to browse through your site. :D

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails