Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Baby wearing, is it your cup of tea?


I recall the first baby carrier I bought, it was purchased off Trade Me at a fraction of its original price and upon collection appeared to look & feel fabulous. Obviously, it was a one size fits all, or was it?

I soon learned that it was not and without instructions I had no idea how to use it. I soon gave up & re-sold it. My next baby carrier purchase was even cheaper although my recollection of the sale was that it was a bargain front pack. I assumed that because of the mass purchase by parents, this product must be a winner.

Let’s see, it was a lot more comfortable for me & a little easier to manipulate… however my baby’s legs were dangling & the straps seemed to cut into her shoulders when carried. My back ached after each use & my baby couldn’t wait to get out of it each time.

I was disappointed at both efforts, so the stroller came back into full swing until a few months later when I happened across a wonderful support group called Slingbabies NZ. Upon a visit to a monthly meeting I realised that the carriers I originally purchased were not anywhere to be seen and that a whole array of eco friendly, baby friendly & parent friendly baby carriers were.

I quickly became a member of Slingbabies & was introduced to their sling library & friendly helpers & supporters. It was on this visit, which impressed me so; I became a fan of the Ergo & Maduca baby carriers.

I am yet to try a wrap or ring sling, however relish the idea that I can try before I buy with the help of Slingbabies many donars. My favourite feature of sling-babies, is that they can nap anywhere. There is less concern for somewhere for baby to sleep when you are out & about and when alert, baby is quite happy going with the flow.

2 comments:

  1. I tried a baby carrier for my second child, now 4yrs old, and found it to be an absolute nightmare. However, looking at these new baby slings on the market I would imagine they are extremely comfy for both mother and baby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Martina,

    First and foremost, thank you for sharing.

    I'm sure many parents would agree that their first experience of wearing a baby in a sling or alternative baby carrier was one they would rather forget. I too was one of those parents, however have turned a new leaf.

    If time permits to research, it will be time spent well. You are right on the money...there are quality baby carriers on the market that are extremely comfortable for both parents & baby.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails